Happy World Heart Day! We all know heart IS the main organ of our body and therefore it’s health should be on priority. The thing that has a direct impact on our heart is the food we eat, apart from physical activities we do! My Mom keeps on giving me important tips on shopping for a health heart. Yes! Our grocery shopping is something that can help us keep up with our heart’s good health.
Most of us live alone as we are professionals or students and we have to manage our own grocery. This is the reason why I decided to share this with you all. I always call my mom to discuss what I buy and what’s good! But this list (which you’ll read below, in a bit) will now save a lot of time and will surely help us pick what’s good!
Here’s sharing those important tips for heart-healthy grocery shopping from my Mom!
- Buy variety of fruits and vegetables and not just 1-2
- If fresh fruits are not available, pick the frozen or canned ones, the ones which DOES NOT have salt, sugar, saturated or trans fat added
- Pick some raw vegetables for munching or snacking like carrots, broccoli, cucumber, etc.
- Try buying fat-free (skimmed) or low-fat (1%) milk
- Include nuts and seeds in your list. It’s a good source of protein
- Prefer whole-grain & high fiber breads
- Choose baked over fried
- Do not buy Palm oil, palm kernel oil, cocoa butter and coconut oil for cooking, they are high in saturated fats which is not good for heart.
- Use non-stick pan as it consumes less oil
- Eat lots of greens
Along with eating healthy, try including breathing exercises in your routine. I do Yoga (read: 8 Surprising Benefits Of Yoga In Daily Life) and some other activities including jogging, this keeps our heart healthy too. Also, try climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator.
I hope you liked reading this post and found it useful. If you have any tips to share, please do via comments section below!
Stay healthy & Happy Heart Day!