I used to be an overpacker! It was because there was no one to give good travel tips to me, and when I used to travel with my family, mum used to pack. I often used to wonder, what if I needed my long jacket after party or will want to wear long boots instead of stilettos? What if I get drenched in rain, I should keep few extra pair of denims and tops. What if I will want to wear my david off perfume instead of a Gucci one?
With all these sorta questions in my mind, I used to overpack! The more I have travelled, the more I realized how important it is to cut luggage. Most of the times, I had to travel alone so as a solo traveller, it becomes really important that you carry lesser luggage as you are the one who has to manage everything!
I’ve started to (mostly) follow the minimalist approach to travel, and trust me it’s made traveling even more enjoyable. Here are 9 things you can do to pack light & travel carefree:
1) Count the no. Of days and pack outfits accordingly. It’s ok to repeat trousers & jeans, so don’t take 10 jeans for 10 days.
2) Pack only essential toiletries. For instance, if you have already booked a hotel, need not to carry dental kit, clean kit or towel set; unless you have a specific brand and you can’t live without it. Most hotels have hair dryer so dont carry that!
3) If you think you ‘might’ need it, don’t pack it.
4) Pack a pair of shoes that goes with most of your outfits.
5) Dont carry tech that you won’t need. For instance, I have seen people carry earpods, headphones and bluetooth headset all together. Carry the best one that goes with all your gadgets, that’s it!
6) Go for ebooks! Even I prefer physical books, but to cut luggage, you can always go for ebooks!
7) Wear your bulkier clothes when in flight. For instance, I always carry my heavy shrug instead of packing it.
8) Make a list of things to pack!
9) Avoid packing too much makeup & accessories.
I really hope these minimal travel tips will help you pack light! 😃