Food That Is Helpful For Hangover Cures
The science of the prevention of hangovers is sadly, largely unstudied. This has been the biggest reason why people have been inventing their own cures for centuries in the past. It is certain that no one meal can prevent or cure a hangover but certainly some foods are better than others. Waking up to have a heavy head, revive your body with nutrients and essential fluids, examples of which are fructose, amino acids, minerals and vitamins. They help in detoxifying chemicals and bringing body to normal.
Greasy food for hangover?
Greasy foods include those which contain fats.
David Levitsky, professor of human ecology and nutritional sciences at Cornell University, says that mammals go for fat foods because it is the best energy source available. So after a night out, you might be cringing for fat foods because body had lost much of the self control or inhibition by then.
The other possible explanation revolves around galanin.
Dr. William Grucho says that galanin increases the appetite for fatty foods and alcohol consumption increases the release of galanin. He also thinks that galanin is stimulated by triglycerides, which is released after the breakdown of fat and alcohol. Triglycerides are stored by the body. They are normally released when energy is needed between the meals. By eating large amounts of fat foods along with alcohol, there is a substantial increase in triglycerides, which in case stimulates galanin production. The crux of the whole discussion is that alcohol stimulates your appetite for fat and consumption of fat does the same too. So by consuming fats along with alcohol does the double damage.
Quite opposite to the normally held belief, grease doesn’t absorb alcohol at all and this has been stressed upon repeatedly by scientists and food specialists. The myth of grease being able to absorb alcohol has been debunked by the recent studies.
On the contrary, eating a lot of fats slows down the rate of absorption of alcohol. It slows down but does not stop. So this approach can be helpful in preventing the absorption of alcohol.
Eating fatty foods in the morning especially after drinking add to the gastrointestinal problems that you might’ve developed. It therefore irritates the stomach and intestines even more. And with that comes the detrimental effects on heart health which sticks to you throughout your life.
Beneficial foods that cure hangover:
- Water: Alcohol is anti diuretic meaning that it removes fluids from the body. Consuming water will increase the fluid content of the body. So, before going to bed, grab some water and after waking up too.
- Fruit juice: Cranberry juice would be a blessing. Fruit juices are packed with vitamins and fluids. This would keep you re-hydrated
- Coffee: If you’re habitual of drinking it early in the morning, stick to it. It would re-hydrate and boost you with energy.
- Oats: Packed with energy, this hangover cure food will boost you in dull morning
- Eggs: Packed with amino acids, this is a good hangover cure food
- Bananas and Green leafy vegetables: Packed with potassium, they help in removing anti diuretic effect of alcohol
Also read: Easy To Make Watermelon Breeze Drink (No Alcohol)
*This is a guest post